Monday, August 25, 2008

Beijing Olympics Closing CeremonyOnly the Chinese can do that!

One of the more memorable moments in the ceremony.

David Beckham came, stand on a bus, smiled, waved and kicked a ball. Big Deal.

Using both sides of the paper helps to save the Earth but drums, I'm not so sure.

Once again, the Chinese left me speechless and awestruck with their closing ceremony last night! They certainly said goodbye with the loudest bang! I can’t remember the last time I held my breath for so long until my heart aches and I totally forgot how it feels like to have my eyes glued for so long on the tv till my eyes water. And don’t even get me started on the fireworks! Not only did those fire work, it worked it’s ass off!

I feel so sorry for those who missed it...which brings me to say this: How can anyone NOT watch the Olympics?! It’s like bringing thousands of bionic man and women with superhuman skills and strength together and watching them try to outdo each other! The least us, mere mortals, can do is to witness them do that. This year, in particular, was full of awe-inspiring moments.

1) Michael Phelps winning 8 gold medals and breaking 7 world records while at it will certainly be remembered for a long time.

2) Usain Bolt insanely bolting through all his races and creating such a huge gap between him and the other runners that you would think the rest were walking or something.

3) More than 40 world records and more than 100 Olympic records were set!!!

4) Singaporean swimmer Tao Li breaking the Asian record twice and went on to the finals to be the 5th fastest swimmer in the world.

5) The opening and closing ceremonies where every moment was awe-inspiring.

6) And of course, SINGAPORE WINNING OUR 1st MEDAL SINCE WE ARE AN INDEPENDENT STATE!

“For China, the investment of more than 40 billion dollars on the Games reaped handsome rewards.
They not only topped the gold medal count, but a near flawless organisation meant the controversies that marred the build-up largely slipped into the background. “


I couldn’t have said it better myself. Thank you China for bringing paper and fireworks into our lives but most of all, thank you for creating the greatest spectacle on tv since F.R.I.E.N.D.S. In a world where guys impersonate Britney Spears and girls impersonate Michael Jackson for a living, and where sports and wellness are taken over by the likes of iGallop and uPapa, it’s nice to know that some things never change. The Olympics never fail to showcase the human spirit and the human strength in great splendour.

No comments: