Monday, September 22, 2008

For those of you wondering what I'm suffering from, it's called VASOVAGAL SYNCOPE.

From Wikipedia...

Typical triggers for vasovagal episodes include:

1) prolonged standing or upright sitting, particularly when standing with legs in a locked position for long periods of time. Avoidance of long-term locking of one's legs in the standing position is taught in the military, as well as marching band and drill team.

2) stress

3) any painful or unpleasant stimuli, such as

-giving a blood donation or watching someone give one
-watching someone experience pain
-watching/experiencing medical procedures
-sight of blood
-occasions of slight discomfort, such as dental and eye examinations

4) hyperthermia, a prolonged exposure to heat

5) sudden onset of extreme emotions

6) hunger

7) nausea or vomiting

8) dehydration

9) urination ('micturition syncope') or defecation ('defecation syncope')

10) pressing upon certain places on the throat, sinuses, and eyes

11) high altitude

12) use of certain drugs that affect blood pressure, such as amphetamine

13) intense laughter


And no Fariq, I did not find out about this while I was defacating on top of a building and cutting myself!
As sad as it was to find out that you suffer from something that's quite unpronunciable, I'm happy because there's finally an explanation!

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense... I'm afraid of heights and I always get the feeling of vertigo, even when I'm at the 4th storey, I cannot see blood even if it's my own without feeling woozy and nauseas, if I have diarrhoea, my mum has to be extra careful in case I faint in the toilet and the last time I forgot to eat, I blacked out while alighting the bus and fell down the steps.
Let's just say that out of the 13 episodes provided, I have points 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11 down pat. I'm just glad that I don't faint from intense laughter or else I'll be fainting 3 times a day and would have to start hanging out with less interesting people.

If I do not have this thing, I'll probably be brave enough to put 'nursing' as my first choice in NUS, I'll probably stay longer at GPA dental for my attachment (if it weren't for my mum too) and I'll probably be able to understand why people say sitting at the front of the upper deck of buses is fun.


On top of that, I also found out that the reason why I havent had mences for 9 months and counting is probably because I have non-functioning ovaries. But I'll probably won't have to do anything about it unless I want to start having babies so that will give my ovaries about 10 years to WAKE UP AND START DOING THEIR JOBS! The worst part is, I still get intense stomach cramps every month but nothing comes out. It's like going to get a tatoo done in invisible ink.

WHAT A FUN WEEK!

No comments: